A Brief History of the
Minneapolis Laestadian Lutheran Church

 

   On July 29, 1895, at a house located at 435 Main Street, in northeast Minneapolis, a small group of Christians gathered to establish the Finnish Apostolic Lutheran Congregation of Minneapolis – now called the Minneapolis Laestadian Lutheran Church. This congregation is believed to be the oldest Finnish congregation in Minneapolis. This group was known as Laestadians after the first worker of this time of visitation, Lars Levi Laestadius.

   During the early years of the Laestadian activity in Minneapolis, services and congregational meetings were held in homes and rented buildings. In 1902, a small church was built in Minneapolis at 237 Humboldt Avenue North which served as the congregation's home for nearly sixty years. Due to growth of the congregation membership, efforts began in 1956 toward building a new church, and in 1960 a church was completed at 1922 Fourth Avenue North in Minneapolis. The congregation utilized this facility until 1979 when, again due to increase in membership and relocation of congregation members to the western suburbs of Minneapolis, the congregation moved to 13030 - 47th Avenue North in Plymouth, Minnesota.

   On three separate occasions the congregation experienced spiritual tempests that have, through false doctrine, resulted in significant numbers separating into heresy. However, the Lord's congregation in Minneapolis has traveled victoriously regardless of obstacles. With humble and thankful hearts we can see that the Lord has a growing, blossoming and fruitful garden here. Living testimony of this is the large group of young people that gathers time after time with the older travelers to hear God's Word.

   The congregation, a member of the central organization Laestadian Lutheran Church (LLC), has experienced growth in activities such as Sunday School, Day Circle, Bible Class, Home Services, Confirmation School and many camps for children, young people and adults. God has richly blessed all of this work for the salvation of the undying souls of men. For this may the honor and glory go to Him.